We called it a retreat because it was too modest to be called a festival. This was something we have been looking forward to since the time we founded Writers Association of Bhutan (WAB) in 2009. This time around we entrusted two of our prominent members in Phuntsholing to lead us. Kinley Wangchuk and Namgay Tshering took less than two months to make the first ever Bhutanese Writers’ Retreat happen. It was a distant dream for the longest time, and now it seems like we have finally found our way. Thanks to the leadership of the two men.
|Aue Supe with Super Presentation|
The event took place on 23rd Jan 2016 in a quiet conference hall of Centennial Hotel in the middle of busy Phuntsholing town. The attendance at the event was as modest as our event but quite a few people believed in us to travel from Thimphu to take part in the event while some seemed to wait till we are big enough to deserve their time. We might never make it there but if we ever do we shall remember the people who were with us during our small beginnings, who did more than just watching us struggle. It’s been years now and I know if some of our established writers showed a little faith and came together we could have already come up with something substantial to proudly call our own.
|Super Cop in Deep Muse|
|The Modest Population|
Following list of activities from the event will tell you what the retreat was all about:
- Mindfulness – Namgay Tshering
- Book Promotion and Sale: Kadrinche-beyond words, Cronical of a Love Foretold, Darkest June, La Ama, Barnyard Murder, and Restless Relic
- On the road to publication- Experience sharing by Kinley wangchuk and Karma Tenzin Yongba
- Poetic Inspiration- Tshering C Dorji
- Simplicity in Writing- Kunga Tenzin Dorji (Supe)
- Writers and Blogging- PaSsu
- Editor’s Story- Needup Zangpo
- Elements of Detective stories – Karma Tenzin Yongba
- Crowd Publishing- Alternative Publishing- Nawang P Phuntsho
- Book signing by Authors; Karma Tenzin Yongba and Kinley Wangchuk
The day was overloaded but every session seemed to bring another dead cell in me back to live. That evening I threw myself on my bed in complete exhaustion but I couldn’t help smiling in satisfaction. I have never been more motivated to dust my old manuscript and dream of publishing again.
Among the many conferences, retreats, and forums I have attended on my own expenses so far this one put an additional smile on my face because I was given a free accommodation in a nice hotel, not to mention the magnificent venue and meals since our arrival on 22nd Jan evening till our departure on 24th Jan afternoon. Therefore I would like to thank the duo Namgay Tshering, and Kinley Wangchuk for paving the difficult path and would like to join them and their supporters in thanking the event sponsors on behalf of WAB:
- Proprietor of Dophu Transport, Karma Dophu Thinley
- Proprietor of Namgay Woods, Dasho KS Dhendup
- CEO of Bhutan Polythnen Company
- CEO of Rabdhuen Pvt Ltd
- Mr. Sonam Wangchuk and Yanka of Phuntsho Norphel Trading
- Proprietor of Centennial Hotel